Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Years Eve Eve

One of my passengers claimed that the eve of New Years Eve is better then New Years Eve. I don’t know but it sure was lucrative. It was very busy straight from the start. My first fare was a day driver named Mac the Hack; he picked up a check from his lawyer and gave me my first big tip of the night. Next up was a shopper from Trader Joes and she had lots of information on how to concoct the perfect new years day spritzer. Then I took a beautiful young woman to work at Ozumo and when she jumped out of cab another woman jumped in with a large bed cover that needed an equally large washing machine to get it clean. She directed me to where there was no Laundromat, so I took her to Brainwash and she had me wait for many minutes and then on to Whole Foods, where I again waited and then back to 88 Howard where I had to carry all the groceries to an elevator. It was worth twenty-seven bucks. Then the rain came and the wind and more rain and more wind. My rear window defroster was broken. My wipers went only three quarters speed. The air conditioner didn’t worth so it was stifling with the windows all rolled up. At this point it became a soggy blur of soaked pedestrians, crazy cloudbursts, lightning strikes, and fishtailing turns. Wherever I dropped off there was another desperate customer ready to jump in. It went on like this all night. My last fare was a very drunk lawyer who mumbled and stumbled into my back seat. We picked up his birthday girl wife in front of Division St. lounge and then fetched their drunk driving friend in parking lot on Main St. (she was going to drive to Pacifica with a mini spare tire on her car) and I took the whole group to Berkeley. The bridge was flooded on the upper deck and the rain was coming down so hard I was driving on instinct. I made it back to the garage and when I counted my booty I had to admit it was as good as New Years Eve.

No comments: