Saturday, October 01, 2005

When September Ends

It’s a hot Friday and luckily I get a cab with working air conditioner. My first fare is a pasty old lady getting off work at SF General Hospital. She says it’s real hot in the hospital because of the brick. I drop her off on Russian hill and from there get some young dude going to BMW to pick up a loner car because his 2005 car is broke again. First it was the steering column and then the sunroof and now the door that his mother broke. I drop him off and cruise up busy Van Ness and get a drunken couple, he with Hawaiian shirt and she with fur coat and mink hat, and drop them at Buccaneer.
Then I get an Australian guy going to Greyhound where I get a Ukrainian kid going to SFO. He’s spent the last 4 months working at Circus Circus in Reno as a cashier and he’s got a couple golf clubs to bring home even though there are no golf courses in Ukraine but there is 50cent beer. Since I’m at the airport I head down below and the queue is real short so soon enough I get a young woman just back from a big euro-vacation going to deep Berkeley. Traffic is a nightmare so instead of taking 80 back I go down San Pablo into Oakland and take the West Grand approach and I figure that saved me at least 10 minutes. Once back in the city I get a hottie going to Ozumo where I get another ride back down near the airport. So I deadhead it into the queue again and get some so-cal bro who’s flown up for the Raiders game and then it’s a blur of old people going to hotels as there’s a big convention of doctors and countless young people going to and fro form this bar to that bar and back. I noticed a lot of well-dressed people passed out on the sidewalk and the most shocking was some guy outside the Acid Mothers Temple show at Bottom of the Hill. He was laying on the corner of Texas and 17th with his head half off the sidewalk over the sewer and an immense amount of puke sprayed out. He’s lying there as if in a deep slumber and stylish Japanese kids are smoking pot 10 meters away.
All in all it was a successful night but it hurt to pay $3.03 for gas at the end but what choice do I have.

No comments: