Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Too much Broadway
Its Saturday night and I’m driving a spare. I come and go, to and fro, up and down, wrong way, now turn around. Not much is happening and it’s turning out to be a fairly quiet night until I pick up my last fare. Its 2:30 in the morning and I take a radio call for a bar at Stockton and Green. Two white guys come out and one is holding a bag of ice to his nose. They get in and tell me they need to go to Pleasant Hill. Ok I say and lets go because it’s getting late and my cabs due in soon. Turns out they are brothers and the one with the ice might have a broken nose. Their story is that they were part of a bachelor party of 13 guys. Their cousin is getting married and his hillbilly friends came in for the wedding. They had two limousines and were hitting up all the strip clubs when all hell broke loss over the purchase of a certain round of drinks. Too many drinks, too much testosterone, and too few real female companions were the perfect recipe for violent mayhem. The unhurt brother started it all and threw the first punch into the face of their cousin’s friend. They fell onto the ground in a jumble of headlocks and knee shots. The broken nosed brother got his ailment by jumping in to defend his kin. They said it was 11 against 2 and they got a few good shots in themselves. The whole cab ride they told the same story over and over and the joint they smoked didn’t help them much in their reiteration of said events. On the way over the bridge they decided not to go home but to pick up their car at their cousins house in Moraga. Through the dark roads behind St. Mary’s college we creep. They tell me to stop at the corner as they are expecting an ambush from the rest of the party. The brother with the broken nose pays me and the other brother get out and puts a rock from the roadside into his pocket. I drive out of there and before I reach Highway #24, two stretch hummers pass me in the opposite direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment